Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Creating Fafnir

I think of Fafnir as a great wingless wyrm. In some adaptation of the tale Sigurd and Regin find Fafnir's trail because he drags himself along the ground and creates a furrow in the earth. In Penn State's translated Volsunga Saga Sigurd claims that Fafnir is not just some ordinary wyrm but perhaps the greatest of dragons. 

So with this in mind, and the sketches of the Komodo Dragon and crocodiles, I began sketching. This was the first conception of Fafnir. 


I like it, but something about him isn't very draconic. I decided to test out this look some more.



The first one looks way too much like a dinosaur to me. The second one is something I could begin to sketch out a little more. He also follows along the same sort of tract as I've seen with other conceptions of Fafnir. Neither of these looks like "iconic dragon" to me, though. I decided it was the neck that needed work, so I produced this guy next.


I lifted the head and curved his neck back on itself. (The spikes were later when I began experimenting with those.) I think he looks much more dragon like. I decided I would look at exactly what spoke to me as an iconic dragon so I began doodling.


I paid close attention to the nose. Curving it back, pointing it, and working at the curve. I also focused on the neck. I don't think I want a Fafnir with horns, I only drew these to help discover what an iconic dragon was to me. However, all things are subject to change here.

It was soon after drawing these I decided I would explore a more snake like figure and fiddle again with the nose. This line of thinking produced these.


Currently I'm looking at combining aspects of image 3 and these guys somehow. I may have a long way to go. Feedback is welcome.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment