Friday, January 4, 2013

Yorric Torrkson


A dwarf of royal blood. His father was a champion among his people, known for his greatest deed of slaying a dragon. Yorric was going to be one of my characters for a game, but unfortunately the game was never started. He was a very interesting character, vastly different from my first D&D character (who was a pacifist cleric). His helmet was that of his father's, as was a very special ability he had. At the time I did not have the 4e books, so I went online to find my feats. I found a home-brew website and thought that one particular feat made sense for my character (I could provide a decent back-story as to why he would have such an ability), then showed my DM. The person who was going to DM that campaign was a friend of mine and knew from experience I didn't like to break the game. I am mostly there for the role-playing. So he agreed to let me have the power.

After Yorric's father, Torrk, slew the fell dragon which had laid waste to a small army of dwarfs, and destroyed vast portions of the great dwarfen city, he made ready to burn the corpse. He was stopped, however, by his uncle, a very old dwarf who had seen much and knew much. His uncle, Rouric Whitebelt, instructed Torrk to take out the heart of the dragon and bade him eat it. Next, he filled a golden goblet with the beast's blood and instructed Torrk to drink of it. When this was done, Torrk's stomach filled with heat, his skin grew harder, and his eyes blazed with light. He found he could understand the speech of dragons, and of their kin, but most of all, he could breath fire! When his son was born, he too had some of these traits. Yorric therefore was granted a special ability in combat, that once per encounter he could breath upon his foes the dragons' breath.

I was very proud of this back-story, and not only because I had a fire breathing dwarf. I borrowed this idea from an old Norse tale which I had heard of as a little kid. I cannot believe I remembered it but when I saw the ability on the home-brew site I immediately thought of that story. It's a shame I never got to play him.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment