Monday, January 7, 2013

My World






As it is. Of course, such things are subject to change. I have in mind another lake or two to add. I am working on the lore for this world, although I already have a good deal of it. I want to make it seem truly real to my players, so I am going region by region and working out the different cultures present there. Luckily that isn't as difficult as it seems. There are not many cultures present in this world, yet. It is quite new (as worlds go) so there are still few enough people that mankind largely sticks together. Since the world is so new, that also means there is not as much history that I have to write.

If I had to pick a time period from our history which corresponds with this world, then I would say that this world is most like our world at the time of the decline of ancient Egypt and the rise of ancient Greece, about 600BC during the early Iron Age. However, the technology in this world has been accelerated to early Dark Ages technology where people are beginning to use steel weapons. There is also some difference in technology between races. Dwarfs can make better armor than humans, but eladrin can make better armor than dwarfs. Some races don't have metal smithing technology at all.

Without diving into the details too much, the world is definitely in a dark age. The central power of the world has collapsed, famine is spreading, and trade is at an all time low. While there used to be great trading networks connecting the west and east, these are nearly vanished. With growing hunger, small villages cannot support themselves and are fleeing to larger towns for protection. Only the largest towns have survived, leaving large expanses of wasteland between small pockets of civilization. I have specifically prepared this world as a perilous wilderness, ready for exploration and adventure.

I will post more updates about this world soon.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment