Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Study in Green (Part 2)


These were my first concept drawings. Not great, but hey, they're not supposed to be yet. You may be able to tell where I was going/coming from with these. I was still looking at the MM for ideas, so I tried giving the Troll a pointed chin, I kept the big nose which is a staple, and I tried a little scrawnier look with the arms. I then made the Ogre. I gave him a more rounded head, higher up on the shoulders, I checked his nose, and made his eyes a little smaller and dimwitted. The Goblin I modeled off of the troll, I gave the goblin a chin like the troll's, made the nose a little smaller and pointed it, and made the ears a little bigger. I liked the end result on this one, but it just didn't seem very... goblin-y. Again, I went to mythology for an assessment. Goblins are small household spirits with a tendency towards mischievous, and sometimes wicked tricks. Goblins should be witty and impish, and my goblin sketch didn't look particularly witty or impish. Much to serious. I really like these kind of goblins:






But they just aren't quite right for D&D. This is a household spirit, not a wondering monster who likes to stir up trouble. For me, the pathfinder goblins really fit the bill, plus they are a special kind of adorable-evil. If you look at my finished goblin you can clearly see some similarities, while at the same time there are some differences. The teeth are not like the Pathfinder goblins, and my goblin's ears are not as over the top. Also, my goblins have a pointed nose, which I personally think is a staple, and a hunched back like their troll relatives.


And that was my next issue: If my goblins looked like this, what should I do with trolls?

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment