Sunday, April 7, 2013

Drawing

Recently I have been annoyed with the level of my artwork. I haven’t been practicing enough and it’s evident. When I do draw it doesn’t seem to improve much, so recently I have been frustrated. Also stressed since I may end up writing a Doujin with someone from Anime club, but I really feel that if I did, my art would not be up to snuff.

This may sound like whining but I would prefer if you looked at it as getting things off my chest. Plus, I have a solution I’m working on.

I decided to take some advice: “He that is taught only be himself has a fool for a master.” Sure, it is impossible to say I really taught myself, I had lots of help along the way! For which I am eternally grateful. But I rarely studied Manga for the purpose of drawing it later. I have (finally) begun using Manga as a real reference. For those who draw Manga, this is probably not new so please ignore my ignorance.

As part of my new training I am drawing characters from Manga I am particularly inspired by. I am trying to pick up ideas from drawing pieces by my favorite artists whose work I would like to emulate. This is rather hard for me. The copying is not what I am talking about (although, as I said, I am not very good so please do not think I am acting cocky) but it is the act itself I find issue with.
I am never one for doing things by the book. I prefer to use my own imagination in everything I do. So copying another person’s character is… like brushing my hair the wrong way…  I feel awkward while doing it, and a little embarrassed.

But, I can see improvements made. I am happy about what I am learning. I can also see the gap between professional work and my own. I don’t see that as a bad thing though, rather I would like to see it more positively as a goal I wish to reach.

I guess this was a nice place to unload my feelings. *phew* It’s tiring trying to do everything yourself and keep it all in. Anyway, I originally made this post to tell you I’ll be posting some of the stuff I have been working on. I really want to keep improving! ^__^



Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment